Objectives & approach
This project is a continuation of two previous WDF projects in Uzbekistan (WDF04-095 & WDF07-232), in collaboration with 7-year project partner, the Charity Union of the Disabled and People with Diabetes Mellitus to raise awareness about diabetic foot.
This project will use the Step-by-Step model to improve diabetic foot care and reduce amputations throughout all the regions of Uzbekistan. Doctors and nurses will be trained and then given a medical toolkit for detecting high risk feet. Selected healthcare professionals will be selected to participate in an advanced course to further develop their knowledge and skills. In addition, 157 local diabetic foot rooms will be launched to further facilitate sustainable prevention of diabetes-related foot complications.
• 224 doctors will participate in a basic training seminar
• 392 nurses will participate in a basic training seminar
• 1,000 people at high risk screened for diabetic foot syndrome
• 90 doctors will participate in an advanced training seminar
• 210 nurses will participate in an advanced training seminar
• Lower limb amputations among people with diabetes reduced with 40-50%