To pilot strengthening and standardisation of primary healthcare services towards diabetes foot care and prevention in three districts
The project aims to increase awareness about diabetes-related disabling complications for health care professionals, community health workers and community members.
To achieve this goal, the first component of the project will be to adapt existing manuals, education materials and tools; the resulting toolbox will be used to improve technical skills of health care professionals and community health workers through ToT and training on diabetes prevention and management and diabetic foot prevention and basic care.
The second component is the implementation of services at posbindu and puskesmas level. Alongside partners, the project will screen the target population for diabetes risk factors and diabetic foot through the posbindus. People will then be referred to the puskesmas for service both on diabetes and specifically on diabetes foot through the set-up of foot care service in the puskesmas.
The third component focuses on advocacy, aiming at promoting sustainability of the actions through local authorities’ commitments. An operational multi-stakeholder committee will be set up at the provincial level to steer, monitor and provide inputs to the project, and to develop and perform media campaigns on diabetes prevention.
The last component aims to monitor activities by collecting data on diabetes at posbindu level. The diabetes data will be integrated into the online patient registry (SIMPUS) at puskesmas level.
- Diabetes foot care established at 12 primary health care facilities in Yogyjakarta
- 36 community based NCD outreach services, ‘postbindu’,strengthened in diabetes foot screening
- 60 ToTs, 36 HCP and 144 CHWs trained in a local adaption of Step-by-Step foot model
- More than 3,500 people screened (risk-based) for diabetes and diabetic foot and with at least 100 patients provided with foot care
- 432 community sessions on diabetes prevention conducted, and at least 8,000 people reached